How It Works
SNOW SEASON NOTE - we don't carry hard goods & therefore cannot provide any hard good services
(e.g., mounting bindings to skis, waxing snowboards, boot repair, etc.)
- New, higher-end models worth the investment for frequent use. Large items (e.g., tents, bags, pads, packs) are >$100. For infrequent use, rent the same gear up to 90% off!
- We sell a basic, entry-level set-up (harness, rope, carabiner, ATC) to supplement our Rentals
- In-line with Rentals, we only sell snow clothes. New, higher-end models (jackets >$200, new pants >$100, etc.)
- How to Buy
- Visit us during Staffed hours. Note we also have a small used gear sale of mostly-donated items, final-sale
- Rent camping gear that's higher end (e.g., an ultralight backpacking kit) at ultra-low prices (~$20)
- The only shop in the Bay Area to rent climbing gear (crash pads, shoes, guide books); weight-bearing equipment only for sale
- We only rent snow clothes & recommend you get skis & boards on the mountain to avoid safety & issues
- How to Rent
- Order online for 24/7 self-service pickup or delivery with no advanced notice required. Or visit us during Staffed hours
- FREE community-donated gear library (deposit required; generally gear is bulkier, lower-end & in as-is condition)
- N/A; we don't receive enough donations to open up this category
- N/A; however to increase accessibility to snowsports, we offer a 'Basic' category of snow clothes to rent (most items <$9)
- How to Borrow
- Visit us during Staffed hours
See how we compare to REI or Sports Basement here
Some of our brands...
Rent & Borrow
- Spending more, or settling for less
- Quality gear is cost-prohibitive & cheaper options are often less durable or lack key features
- Researching gear that will work over time
- To accommodate changes in body, needs (e.g., new family), or seasons & weather
- Getting perfect gear for the trip right now
- Rent different models to figure out what you like without having to commit
- Keeping your gear in good condition
- You have to wash & dry gear, then store it in large, open spaces... it can be a hassle!
- Relaxing... that's it
- Take a nap & enjoy that after-trip glow, we'll take care of the rest
- Will you get your money's worth??
- Having gear won't make you do anything more, no matter the new years' resolution! Especially outdoor trips, which require more planning logistics & herding friends
- Living more carefree
- No clutter in your closet, no stress on your finances. Sharing resources is also better for our community & environment
Should you buy outdoor gear?
Use our calculator to see for yourself!
Savings = cost of buying per trip - cost of renting per trip. Cost of renting per trip = simply our rental prices for one. Cost of buying per trip =
- The value of basic gear necessities / total number of trips (trips per year * number of years) + time cost (1 average hours to prep, clean, repair gear per trip * $25/hour SF living wage)
- The value of basic gear necessities LMG provides across seasons = $1200 for camping & backpacking (includes $150 for a roomy car-camping tent, $300 for a lightweight backpacking tent, $150 each for warm & cold-weather sleeping bags, $100 for a sleeping pad, $200 for a backpack, etc.), and = $700 for snowsports (includes $250 for a jacket, $150 for pants, $100 each for helmet, gloves, etc.). While you can get a basic gear package cheaply, folks have told us about cheap gear breaking on first use!
Sara & friends
Backpacking in Yosemite
Farrah & Monty
Camping in Mendocino
Nathan & Jerrod
Skiing at Tahoe
Also featured on...
Frequently Asked Questions
These questions address 95% of all inquiries! Thank you for taking 2 minutes to find an answer here, first. You're helping us save time which we then pass back to you as low prices!
- If you're looking to BUY...
- Generally no; we primarily sell new gear purchased directly from manufacturers just like any other retailer. We have a very limited selection of used gear for sale, but we don't buy-back used gear from the public
- If you're looking to RENT...
- Our rental gear is purchased-new from manufacturers, we rent the same high-end items we sell. At the end-of-its life, we may move rental gear to our small used gear sale or donate it to community organizations
- If you're looking to BORROW...
- Yes, this is the only program we have that features only used gear, donated by the public in as-is condition
- We rent the same higher-end gear that we sell & maintain it in good, usable condition. While we don't do daily pricing there is still a fee to rent gear.
- The borrow program consists of used gear donated by the public in as-is condition; we take a deposit (~$20 per item), refunded when the item is, so it's net free!
- Pull up the confirmation email we sent to you on your smartphone
- Click the link to the Order dashboard
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to unlock the door and use our lockers